Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

  1. #1
    for nakaya, with love wooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    new england woods
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,368
    Thanks
    4,972
    Thanked 662 Times in 370 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?


    this is one of those he said/she said... and then she rolled her eyes

    the situation: we use a harmony 900 remote (love it!) to control the display + soundbar + blu-ray player + cable box. inexplicably, the remote recently stopped working on RF (radio frequency, i.e., click anywhere) but still works on IR (infared, i.e., point & click). i tried all the easy fixes. no luck.

    my beloved says IR is good enough... why bother calling tech support? granted, it works fine. but it means having the 80‘s-metallic-grey cable box sticking out so we can get line of sight for IR.

    me? i’m going to get RF working again because i like being able to point at the dog and have the tv come on. but my question is this: do most guys not care about the aesthetics of the set-up? would the visible (and tacky) cable box bother you?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    29,538
    Thanks
    3,168
    Thanked 2,583 Times in 2,092 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Yes, it would most certainly bother me. All my equipment is black, generally shiny and mostly new looking. If the cable company sent me a damn silver box...I'd probably try to hide it. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by wooty View Post
    this is one of those he said/she said... and then she rolled her eyes

    the situation: we use a harmony 900 remote (love it!) to control the display + soundbar + blu-ray player + cable box. inexplicably, the remote recently stopped working on RF (radio frequency, i.e., click anywhere) but still works on IR (infared, i.e., point & click). i tried all the easy fixes. no luck.

    my beloved says IR is good enough... why bother calling tech support? granted, it works fine. but it means having the 80‘s-metallic-grey cable box sticking out so we can get line of sight for IR.

    me? i’m going to get RF working again because i like being able to point at the dog and have the tv come on. but my question is this: do most guys not care about the aesthetics of the set-up? would the visible (and tacky) cable box bother you?
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to GOS For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  4. #3
    for nakaya, with love wooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    new england woods
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,368
    Thanks
    4,972
    Thanked 662 Times in 370 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Yes, it would most certainly bother me. All my equipment is black, generally shiny and mostly new looking. If the cable company sent me a damn silver box...I'd probably try to hide it. lol
    thank you, lizard king. i'm with you: everything else is shiny and new looking. except for the cable box. and my beloved

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to wooty For This Useful Post:

    GOS (12-08-2011)

  6. #4
    HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    22,726
    Thanks
    1,607
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    I hate silver, and yes we do care.
    65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
    Denon AVR-4520CI
    Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
    Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to gadgtfreek For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  8. #5
    for nakaya, with love wooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    new england woods
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,368
    Thanks
    4,972
    Thanked 662 Times in 370 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    thanks, jason! we've been living w/o RF for a week, and i swear that cable box gets a little bigger and a little uglier every day.

    good to know there's aesthetic sensitivity out there. my beloved sez "men don't care what it looks like, just that it works."

    maybe he secretly worried i was scrambling the dog's brains by pointing & clicking at him with the remote when we had RF. ah, the good old days. woof.

  9. #6
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,438
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    One of the reasons I switched to Dish is the damn silver box I had from Charter. Wooty if you can't get the RF working you can always go this route. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...3378041&sr=8-2
    L2W you will be missed.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to mytime For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  11. #7
    HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    22,726
    Thanks
    1,607
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Hahaha.

    The ent center is really the ONLY area of the house I have operational control over.
    65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
    Denon AVR-4520CI
    Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
    Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to gadgtfreek For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  13. #8
    HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    22,726
    Thanks
    1,607
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    One of the reasons I switched to Dish is the damn silver box I had from Charter. Wooty if you can't get the RF working you can always go this route. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...3378041&sr=8-2
    God, you remember the silver kick around 2004? Man, EVERYTHING was silver, dvd players, tv's, HTiB's!!
    65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
    Denon AVR-4520CI
    Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
    Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to gadgtfreek For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  15. #9
    for nakaya, with love wooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    new england woods
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,368
    Thanks
    4,972
    Thanked 662 Times in 370 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    One of the reasons I switched to Dish is the damn silver box I had from Charter. Wooty if you can't get the RF working you can always go this route. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...3378041&sr=8-2
    thanks, my. i tried adding the extenders that came with the remote (in addition to the main blaster). i tried all the stuff that should have fixed it. next stop: serious whining & tech support.

    and you're right: CURSE you, cable companies, for your damn silver boxes!

    p.s. you wouldn't consider a kevin bacon avatar, would you my?

  16. #10
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,438
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by wooty View Post
    thanks, my. i tried adding the extenders that came with the remote (in addition to the main blaster). i tried all the stuff that should have fixed it. next stop: serious whining & tech support.

    and you're right: CURSE you, cable companies, for your damn silver boxes!

    p.s. you wouldn't consider a kevin bacon avatar, would you my?
    LOL!
    L2W you will be missed.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to mytime For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  18. #11
    for nakaya, with love wooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    new england woods
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,368
    Thanks
    4,972
    Thanked 662 Times in 370 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
    Hahaha.

    The ent center is really the ONLY area of the house I have operational control over.
    but not decorating control. i saw your set-up. what was the word you used?

  19. #12
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,438
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
    God, you remember the silver kick around 2004? Man, EVERYTHING was silver, dvd players, tv's, HTiB's!!
    I had a Pioneer HTIB that was Silver. Gads that thing was ugly.
    L2W you will be missed.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to mytime For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  21. #13
    Super Moderator vläd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.W. Desert USA
    Posts
    6,406
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 943 Times in 734 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    I do care about my setup's appearance but hiding the cable box is not really an option solely for convenience sake. My wonderful top 'o the line Scientific Atlanta cable boxes locks up about once every two weeks. I have to unplug them, wait a minute and then plug them back in.
    ______

    "Oxymoron of the day: Reality TV"

    Avatar of the week: Justified 4th Season

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to vläd For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  23. #14
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    29,538
    Thanks
    3,168
    Thanked 2,583 Times in 2,092 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Everyone has likely had silver at some point (well, if you're my age you have) lol
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


  24. The Following User Says Thank You to GOS For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  25. #15
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,181
    Thanks
    7,371
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    I just need some FERNSand I'm good to go

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to speedking For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  27. #16
    for nakaya, with love wooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    new england woods
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,368
    Thanks
    4,972
    Thanked 662 Times in 370 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Everyone has likely had silver at some point (well, if you're my age you have) lol
    it requires SUCH an adjustment going from nugent to morrison. i do a scoobydoo double-take every time i see you now

    Quote Originally Posted by vläd View Post
    I do care about my setup's appearance but hiding the cable box is not really an option solely for convenience sake. My wonderful top 'o the line Scientific Atlanta cable boxes locks up about once every two weeks. I have to unplug them, wait a minute and then plug them back in.
    vlad. how are you? really nice to see you!

    scientific atlanta. yup, that's what i've got. and that's what i have to do to. but i have to crawl on my belly like a reptile to do it.


    btw: in case anybody doesn't know what word elway used, it was frilly

  28. #17
    HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    22,726
    Thanks
    1,607
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Yepp, my wife's frilly stuff.


    Sent from Tapatalk
    65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
    Denon AVR-4520CI
    Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
    Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to gadgtfreek For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  30. #18
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,438
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by wooty View Post
    it requires SUCH an adjustment going from nugent to morrison. i do a scoobydoo double-take every time i see you now



    vlad. how are you? really nice to see you!

    scientific atlanta. yup, that's what i've got. and that's what i have to do to. but i have to crawl on my belly like a reptile to do it.


    btw: in case anybody doesn't know what word elway used, it was frilly
    It's well known that Elway decorates for the Holidays in his home.....He is a closet "frilly".
    L2W you will be missed.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to mytime For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

  32. #19
    for nakaya, with love wooty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    new england woods
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,368
    Thanks
    4,972
    Thanked 662 Times in 370 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?

    Quote Originally Posted by speedking View Post
    I just need some FERNSand I'm good to go
    no pay to play here, sweetfern. but what about you? would silver stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of shiny, nearly-new black for you? are are you on my beloved's side?

  33. #20
    FATHER TIMELESS ImRizzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Eastern End of Long Island NY
    Age
    71
    Posts
    29,849
    Thanks
    576
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: aesthetics of the set-up: do men care?


    Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Everyone has likely had silver at some point (well, if you're my age you have) lol
    Silver and there was a period where when Champagne was the color of choice. It was a silvery Gold color that was what my Denon 3805 was. And I've had two that were housed in a wooden case, Fisher and a Marantz. (both silver).
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    Sony XBR 929 ~ Sony XBR8, Denon 3311CI, Mirage V2 speakers w/S10 Sub, Oppo 93, Darbee-5000, Harmony 1100 ~
    for image

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to ImRizzo For This Useful Post:

    wooty (12-08-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •