Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: A popular inexpensive stand

  1. #1
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,180
    Thanks
    7,370
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default A popular inexpensive stand


    I'm getting some positive feedback on this stand...it solves the problem for large center channel speakers in front of the set

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179876185999

    Here is how it looks in a real home environment, dude has got a BD-60 too

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/j-c/3673451697/

    another view

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/j-c/3673454191

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to speedking For This Useful Post:

    trent.memphis (09-07-2009)

  3. #2
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,737
    Thanks
    3,063
    Thanked 2,522 Times in 2,038 Posts
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    I have wondered about those sort of stands. I too have a very large center channel speaker and no real good place to put it with my current configuration.
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

  4. #3
    audio guy & Samsung liker JasonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 21 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    it looks like a nice stand and it does solve the problem for people with good size center channel speakers. i like it.
    Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

  5. #4
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,302
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 875 Times in 717 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Nice stand. Great price too.

  6. #5
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,180
    Thanks
    7,370
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    I have wondered about those sort of stands. I too have a very large center channel speaker and no real good place to put it with my current configuration.

    There is another problem it solves, as well. Some newer plasmas have the sensor for the power switch in the way, if you put a center channel in front. Plenty of customer reviews on that stand...not bad for the money.

  7. #6
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,737
    Thanks
    3,063
    Thanked 2,522 Times in 2,038 Posts
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedking View Post
    There is another problem it solves, as well. Some newer plasmas have the sensor for the power switch in the way, if you put a center channel in front. Plenty of customer reviews on that stand...not bad for the money.
    I know this is insane, but I have a horse of a klipsch center. I mean, it's made like a tank. I have the LCD resting on top of it. Yeah, yeah, I know. I don't like it either - but I have no idea other than spending more money to get something more useful.
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

  8. #7
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,180
    Thanks
    7,370
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    I know this is insane, but I have a horse of a klipsch center. I mean, it's made like a tank. I have the LCD resting on top of it. Yeah, yeah, I know. I don't like it either - but I have no idea other than spending more money to get something more useful.
    yea..I'd say the RC3 is a tank..29 freaking lbs..wow. I noticed you have the 988 as well...I love mine. I've got a Polk center channel, pretty beefy, but I don't think it's 29lbs. What I like about the Polk center is the design...if you want to sit it on the floor it will angle upwards...cool design.

  9. #8
    HDJ Platinum Club Member BruZZi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,380
    Thanks
    765
    Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,557 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedking View Post
    yea..I'd say the RC3 is a tank..29 freaking lbs..wow.

    My Paradigm CC-490 is not far behind at 27lbs.

    I would even consider that Whalen Stand if it was all black.

    .
    Pioneer KRP-500M / Denon AVR-2809CI / Emotiva XPA-3
    Paradigm Studio 10's / Paradigm Studio CC-490 / Def Tech PM-800
    Sunfire HRS-8 / Oppo BDP-103D / Behringer DSP-1124 / Digiwave DTV-5000

  10. #9
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,180
    Thanks
    7,370
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post
    My Paradigm CC-490 is not far behind at 27lbs.

    I would even consider that Whalen Stand if it was all black.

    .
    I went to their site and they have it in black...but the price is a lot more. The stand above appears to be made for Best Buy...these guys make a lot of stands

    http://www.racksandstands.com/Whalen...t-GOL1167.html

  11. #10
    Master of BS Silverfox1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    334
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    What is the height of your center speaker ?

    The only reason i never had one of the stands you all posted was it puts the center of the screen to elevated from my line of sight in the recliner.

    I did get the below stand from BB last month when they had it on sale for $219.00 for a few days and i figured its future proof if i puchase a 65" display in the future.

    Gap on bottom shelf is 8 1\2 " & top gap is 8 1\4".

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ustomerreviews

    Regards,

  12. #11
    FATHER TIMELESS ImRizzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Eastern End of Long Island NY
    Age
    70
    Posts
    29,034
    Thanks
    546
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,274 Posts
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    I have this stand ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085296252 ) in a Brushed Aluminum powder coated color, this is the same exact stand (by BUSH ) in a Cherry wood finish and after checking it out further I realized that the actual stand is identical with the exception to the Wood Paneled facing. So rather than buy a new stand ( which is what I was contemplating I'm simply going to buy 2.5" by 1/4" wood strips, stain and satin polycoat them and then epoxy them to the existing frame. at a possible cost of $25.00 I'll have the same stand that would have cost me $300.00 + tx (=325.00 ) My next DYI project.
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II

    Sony XBR 929 ~ Sony XBR8, Denon 3311CI, Mirage V2 speakers w/S10 Sub, Oppo 93, Darbee-5000, SA8300DVR, Harmony 1100 ~


  13. #12
    HDJ Platinum Club Member trent.memphis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,974
    Thanks
    231
    Thanked 376 Times in 322 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I've been stand-shopping online for the past 3 days, and, speed, your first link above still looks like the best option for the best price.

    Except, that is, for another Whalen stand, which is black, Bruzzi, and $15 cheaper.
    Last edited by trent.memphis; 09-07-2009 at 11:32 PM.

  14. #13
    FATHER TIMELESS ImRizzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Eastern End of Long Island NY
    Age
    70
    Posts
    29,034
    Thanks
    546
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,274 Posts
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
    I have this stand ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085296252 ) in a Brushed Aluminum powder coated color, this is the same exact stand (by BUSH ) in a Cherry wood finish and after checking it out further I realized that the actual stand is identical with the exception to the Wood Paneled facing. So rather than buy a new stand ( which is what I was contemplating I'm simply going to buy 2.5" by 1/4" wood strips, stain and satin polycoat them and then epoxy them to the existing frame. at a possible cost of $25.00 I'll have the same stand that would have cost me $300.00 + tx (=325.00 ) My next DYI project.
    See finished product at post # 12 @ http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?t=1123
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II

    Sony XBR 929 ~ Sony XBR8, Denon 3311CI, Mirage V2 speakers w/S10 Sub, Oppo 93, Darbee-5000, SA8300DVR, Harmony 1100 ~


  15. #14
    HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,091
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 572 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by speedking View Post
    I went to their site and they have it in black...but the price is a lot more. The stand above appears to be made for Best Buy...these guys make a lot of stands

    http://www.racksandstands.com/Whalen...t-GOL1167.html
    This just might be my favorite stand I've ever seen. I love this thing.
    I own some stuff.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •