werthliving.com

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Panasonic TC-PXXVT30 Calibration Discussion

Thanks

werthliving.com

Quote Originally Posted by EQAzull View Post
    I checked the ControlCAL web sight, but do not see vt30 2.x version available. Is it not released yet?

Thanks
    v2 info is not on my public site but will be shortly (where does all the time go?)... v2 is available to you here in NA.

Recreational HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
    Did you run into a glitch? I enjoy seeing the settings you arrive at and how you are progressing as a calibrator. No rush, though.
    Well I am doing some aging on this 3rd panel, which has no moire patterns and looks good. I am also waiting to be able to upload my saved settings from ControlCal, my guess is I will be able to post new setting on this 3rd panel with new firmware by Tuesday night, with a little help from Turbe

Thanks

^^^^

Thanks for the update. Hope your 3rd panel is a keeper.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
    v2 info is not on my public site but will be shortly (where does all the time go?)... v2 is available to you here in NA.
    I have been having some problems with Calman's DDC (unable to access a large number of controls on my European VT30) and would like to know if Control Cal has a version that will work with a European VT30 (Ethernet - no serial port access).

Thank you.

Mark

Thanks

ControlCAL supports the VT30's in Europe, they have a serial port as well.. just need the adapter (NA units ship with it). v2 network support will be soon but since v2 works hand in hand with with v1.5x port configuration, it simply picks that info up automatically and I did pick up the network config used in some Kuro Monitor special versions.. it will be soon after a few other Pro requested features.....

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Thanks. It looks like I will wait for v2 as it seems that the serial adapter will be hard to come by and expensive in Switzerland. Thanks

Casual HD User
    Thanks

I'm coming to Switzerland next month. You want me to drop one off for you? Unfortunately, I'll only be in in Lucerne for about a day, which isn't particuarly close to you. Love that country! It's one of the most beautiful anywhere! And the best chocolates, too!

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Hi All,

To be clear the Firmware Update does absolutely nothing to fix the incorrect color decoding in the Custom (ISF) modes. In fact, my tests show that even the THX mode does not decode to the Rec 709 spec correctly either although it is closer than on the other picture modes. I have now calibrated 12 VT30 panels with the ISF ccc implementation from ControlCal. The implementation is excellent from ControlCal. I will say this chassis is the most difficult display to correctly calibrate that I have come across in many many years.
    Kevin Miller
    ISF Co-instructor
    TweakTV Co-Founder
    Email: kevinm@tweaktv.com
    HDTV Product Development Consultant

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Miller For This Useful Post:

davidjschenk (06-22-2011), gadgtfreek (06-22-2011), LeRoyk (06-22-2011), rgladiator (06-22-2011), Robert Zohn (06-25-2011), Turbe (06-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Miller View Post
    Hi All,

To be clear the Firmware Update does absolutely nothing to fix the incorrect color decoding in the Custom (ISF) modes. In fact, my tests show that even the THX modes does not decode to the Rec 709 spec correctly either although it is closer than on the other picture modes. I have now calibrated 12 VT30 panels with the ISF ccc implementation from ControlCal. The implementation is excellent from ControlCal. I will say this chassis is the most difficult display to correctly calibrated that I have come across in many many years.
    How close have you been able to dial the set in to Rec 709?
    If you look for the bad in displays expecting to find it, you surely will.
    I'm not a calibrator but I play one on my TV.

British Legends Worlds first on-line multiplayer text adventure and free to play!

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Hi

I can get the grayscale, and color gamut extremely close to the Rec 709 specifications, but the color decoding is incorrect and you must de-saturate the color level to about 40 to get skin tones and color to look correct. This means we are losing a little color resolution which is a shame. With that said the picture once the set is calibrated looks quite good.
    Kevin Miller
    ISF Co-instructor
    TweakTV Co-Founder
    Email: kevinm@tweaktv.com
    HDTV Product Development Consultant

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Miller For This Useful Post:

davidjschenk (06-22-2011), Robert Zohn (06-25-2011)

Thanks

Hi

I can get the grayscale, and color gamut extremely close to the Rec 709 specifications, but the color decoding is incorrect and you must de-saturate the color level to about 40 to get skin tones and color to look correct. This means we are losing a little color resolution which is a shame. With that said the picture once the set is calibrated looks quite good.
    Glad to hear it because you calibrated mine. I should be receiving it tomorrow and I can't wait!
    If you look for the bad in displays expecting to find it, you surely will.
    I'm not a calibrator but I play one on my TV.

British Legends Worlds first on-line multiplayer text adventure and free to play!

Thanks

+1 about the difficulty! Very, very time consuming and difficult, at least on the 1st unit with updated firmware. Now that I have a better handle on it's quirks and interactions, I expect subsequent units to go easier. I don't think I've spent more time on a plasma since about 5 or 6 years ago when I went to battle with a couple of really poor early LG panels.
    I also found that color had to be at about 40 with panel brightness on mid, which defies the measurements. But panel brightness low gives much more accurate color and does not need to be reduced. However, low gives very low light output, so I used it only in night mode.
    Last edited by Chad B; 06-22-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    touring calibrator/reviewer
    Jeti 1211 reference spectro, C6 Limited Edition
    Review index and rankings

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chad B For This Useful Post:

gadgtfreek (06-22-2011)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

anybody care to share their calibration report for their 65VT30? i would love to compare. post or pm is fine.
    i am not looking for your settings, just your results from calibration

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ariess View Post
    anybody care to share their calibration report for their 65VT30? i would love to compare. post or pm is fine.
    i am not looking for your settings, just your results from calibration
    Under updates: http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showth...l=1#post233048
    Buzz
    THX Certified Video Calibrator

Discounts on LightSpace software, Klein Colorimeters. & eeColor Processors - Naples Display Calibration

Recreational HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
    +1 about the difficulty! Very, very time consuming and difficult, at least on the 1st unit with updated firmware. Now that I have a better handle on it's quirks and interactions, I expect subsequent units to go easier. I don't think I've spent more time on a plasma since about 5 or 6 years ago when I went to battle with a couple of really poor early LG panels.
    I also found that color had to be at about 40 with panel brightness on mid, which defies the measurements. But panel brightness low gives much more accurate color and does not need to be reduced. However, low gives very low light output, so I used it only in night mode.
    Hi

I have had 3 panels now and I've noticed setting differences between all three. It takes a lot of time and I find blue/magenta to be the most difficult to dial in.

Now that you guys have calibrated multiple panels, can you confirm that measurements actually show accurate readings but when you actually view the panel it is over saturated?

How can this logically be explained? It seems that something is really wrong here and perhaps there is some dynamic color adjustment happening with live content vs. when you have a static test pattern up.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post
    I have had 3 panels now and I've noticed setting differences between all three. It takes a lot of time and I find blue/magenta to be the most difficult to dial in.

Now that you guys have calibrated multiple panels, can you confirm that measurements actually show accurate readings but when you actually view the panel it is over saturated?

How can this logically be explained? It seems that something is really wrong here and perhaps there is some dynamic color adjustment happening with live content vs. when you have a static test pattern up.
    Yes, it would seem to me that as long as the source material and the device used to display the material are correct, and if the meter used to calibrate is correct, then results of a well calibrated display should have a great picture. I do not understand how the meter and software can report correct calibration, but the display be obviously off. This should be a closed loop system. As Gotchaa said maybe if the dynamic material being displayed causes a change?

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EQAzull View Post
    Yes, it would seem to me that as long as the source material and the device used to display the material are correct, and if the meter used to calibrate is correct, then results of a well calibrated display should have a great picture. I do not understand how the meter and software can report correct calibration, but the display be obviously off. This should be a closed loop system. As Gotchaa said maybe if the dynamic material being displayed causes a change?
    Just because the meter/sw report a perfect gamut, does not mean the color decoder/cms works properly. Charts are not the end, still have to evaluate with reference material. Several sets have a CMS that does not work, so when you get the chart spot on, the colors look horrible in content.

Further calibration discussion would probably be better in the calibration thread, so we don't bore some of these folks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
    Just because the meter/sw report a perfect gamut, does not mean the color decoder/cms works properly. Charts are not the end, still have to evaluate with reference material. Several sets have a CMS that does not work, so when you get the chart spot on, the colors look horrible in content.

Further calibration discussion would probably be better in the calibration thread, so we don't bore some of these folks.
    Ummmm, this is the calibration thread. lol
    Buzz
    THX Certified Video Calibrator

Discounts on LightSpace software, Klein Colorimeters. & eeColor Processors - Naples Display Calibration

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Hahaha. Sorry, sometimes my eyes get crossed looking at that damn live post feed... We were discussing colorspace in the owners thread

Carry on

Thanks

In panel brightness mid and high, the color is non linear with stimulus level. You calibrate it with the standard 75% stim and you'll get colors that look too hot. You measure it with 50% or 100% and you'll get different results. I'll have to experiment some more to confirm this, but there's a chance that some in between stim level like 60% might give results that line up with what we see in the pic.
    touring calibrator/reviewer
    Jeti 1211 reference spectro, C6 Limited Edition
    Review index and rankings

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chad B For This Useful Post:

EQAzull (06-22-2011), gadgtfreek (06-22-2011)

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information