werthliving.com

Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Panasonic TC-PXXVT30 Calibration Discussion

Recreational HD User
    Thanks

werthliving.com

I agree that post calibration check with material is what matters even with great reports, but it should NOT be this far off. In my opinion it is broken. Yes it can be calibrated out but why should you need to do this?

There are a few calibrators that have figured out how to work around the CMS. I am going to fight the fight for the DYI calibrators. I have a case logged and the Panasonic field engineer is coming out on 7/1. I've already sent in my settings and calibration report so their engineers should be able to replicate results in their lab.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gotchaa For This Useful Post:

Franchot (06-22-2011), jjrandorin (06-22-2011)

Thanks

It's not hard to figure out how to work around it. Older Panny plasmas like the V10 were the same way in panel brightness high, but this year is the first time they have been like this in panel brightness medium. Again, it's not new to this model; I've been aware of it and working around it when necessary since the V10.
    touring calibrator/reviewer
    Jeti 1211 reference spectro, C6 Limited Edition
    Review index and rankings

Thanks

In panel brightness mid and high, the color is non linear with stimulus level. You calibrate it with the standard 75% stim and you'll get colors that look too hot. You measure it with 50% or 100% and you'll get different results. I'll have to experiment some more to confirm this, but there's a chance that some in between stim level like 60% might give results that line up with what we see in the pic.
    Are you sure it's stimulus level and not APL? I would be curious to know if using the small APL color patterns generated a better result.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Hi All,

The oversaturation is due to incorrect color decoding. This is not new to the Custom Mode for the Panny Viera consumer models. Unfortunately, the ISF ccc modes are attached to the Custom mode. CMS works very well, but decoding is clearly wrong, and this requires de-saturating color significantly. A setting of 40 on Color seems to yield the best results.
    Kevin Miller
    ISF Co-instructor
    TweakTV Co-Founder
    Email: kevinm@tweaktv.com
    HDTV Product Development Consultant

Recreational HD User
    Thanks

Default 3rd Panel Full Calibration Report and Settings

Folks, I was suppose to wait until July 1st for Panasonic's visit before calibrating, but I decided to go ahead and calibrate it anyhow and zero it out with ControlCal later. This is my third panel which did not have any of those moire patterns at extreme angles. This is the first panel I've calibrated with the new firmware. I also decided to try Warm 2, and low panel brightness for now. So far I am happy with the results, and I will say I am still seeing panel differences, so although I am posting my results and settings, please do not assume my settings will work well on your panel.

You can take a look at my report, and then the final settings in the last column. I've kept the settings from the other 2 panels for historical purposes so folks can see how the Low Panel setting and Warm 2 settings affect the calibration and results.

So far I prefer the look of this panel and calibration, have not done any fBR testing, and I do not feel this is over saturated thus far, but I'll report back later as I've had limited viewing thus far. Color decoding was a bit better on this panel which cut down on calibration time, but I will say I think the decoder is still broken as luminance/saturation/hue settings are very sensitive, with 1 affecting the other more than one would think is normal.

I will go back and re-do this in mid panel brightness when the Accupel arrives and take some of the advice here from folks regarding color settings and compensating for over saturation. I feel the low panel setting is too dim for daytime viewing. I just ended up copying ISD Night/Custom settings to ISF Day mode, and changing panel brightness to "High" for now and will re-check it later as I am sure it's no longer accurate in Day mode.
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gotchaa For This Useful Post:

Derek1984 (06-28-2011), fourclowns (06-26-2011), Franchot (06-26-2011), heckheck (06-26-2011), Hi Resolution (06-26-2011), Sammie2980 (06-26-2011), theIrish1 (06-26-2011)

Thanks

Default Re: Official Panasonic TC-PXXVT30 Calibration Discussion

Gotchaa,

Thanks for posting your results again. I'll give them a try on my set and then tweak from there if they are in the ballpark on my set.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
    +1 about the difficulty! Very, very time consuming and difficult, at least on the 1st unit with updated firmware. Now that I have a better handle on it's quirks and interactions, I expect subsequent units to go easier. I don't think I've spent more time on a plasma since about 5 or 6 years ago when I went to battle with a couple of really poor early LG panels.
    I also found that color had to be at about 40 with panel brightness on mid, which defies the measurements. But panel brightness low gives much more accurate color and does not need to be reduced. However, low gives very low light output, so I used it only in night mode.
    So Chad, do you calibrate the color to correct measurements and then dial down the color setting to 40 or set it at 40 and then use the CMS to correct the measurement? Also can you give us a small bit of info on some of the quirks you speak of and how to work around them?

Recreational HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kurochickensoup View Post
    So Chad, do you calibrate the color to correct measurements and then dial down the color setting to 40 or set it at 40 and then use the CMS to correct the measurement? Also can you give us a small bit of info on some of the quirks you speak of and how to work around them?
    +1No two panels were the same for me, and low panel brightness will not work for daytime viewing. I found that luminance, saturation and hue controls are just too interactive...

Recreational HD User
    Thanks

Calibrators using ControlCal v2, can you post your ControlCal settings? This will be a good way for us to compare panel differences and quickly check your recommended settings.

Thanks

Gotchaa,

I plugged in your settings last night and they are the best so far. They are close to the THX CNET settings which I still prefer over yours. Your latest settings were a tad dimmer than CNET's and a bit under-saturated on my set, but a very good starting place. Thanks for posting them. I could easily see tweaking your settings on my set and getting a good useable picture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post
    Calibrators using ControlCal v2, can you post your ControlCal settings? This will be a good way for us to compare panel differences and quickly check your recommended settings.
    Most Professional Calibrators do not Post Settings. D-Nice does Post his Reference Settings and his will be posted soon. Kevin Miller will also post settings at TweakTV. Some Owners do Post their Professionally calibrated settings.

Most Enthusiast / DIY Calibrators do Post their setting with their data / reports - this has been helping the small (yet growing) DIY group with their own calibrations for a long time and has helped to bring many to Calibration.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbe For This Useful Post:

Robert Zohn (06-26-2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 694 Posts

Turbe just wanted to say thank you for the latest enhancement to ControlCal 2.0. The VT30 calibrations are calibrating even smoother now and it's easier to get the best results.

I would love to personally thank you parents for the great Turbe!! Good job Mr. and Mrs. Turbe!!

-Robert

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Zohn For This Useful Post:

Turbe (06-26-2011)

I still have questions... LeRoyk's Avatar
    Thanks

Gothcha, what are your 100% luminance readings at Contrast 70 panel drive on low? My panel is right around 55 for brightness. The serial number begins with LJ1144. My i1 Display LT is not giving me consistent results. Something moves and clunks inside of it. I plan to get one of the new i1 Display IIIs from Tom when they become available. I should have something more to contribute then. I have ControlCAL now, thanks Turbe.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30 Panasonic TC-P50ST60 Panasonic DMP-BDT310 Blu-ray Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver 7 BIC Venturi speakers Single SVS subwoofer

Thanks

Thank you for the kind words Robert...

Best Regards

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbe For This Useful Post:

Robert Zohn (06-26-2011)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post
    I was planning on going through today and polling the display I will plus them into your spread sheet and post either today or tomorrow.
    Living Room: Panasonic P65ZT60 (ISF C3)/Pioneer Elite SC-35/ Uverse / Wii U/360 Slim/360 MW2 Super Elite (modded)/PS3 Slim w/750gig hdd swap/Definitive Technology Mythos Ones fronts & surrounds/Definitive Technology Mythos Eight center channel/Rears Mythos Gem XL's/Oppo BDP-93 3D player/REL T7 subwoofer/Monster Power Center HDP 2500

Bedroom:Panasonic P65VT30 (ISF C3) / Panasonic BDT-DMP350

Office: Pioneer KRP500M w/ISFccc patch/Sony Google TV / Orphaned: 58VT25 / 2521 hrs on it lol

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Miller View Post
    Hi All,

The oversaturation is due to incorrect color decoding. This is not new to the Custom Mode for the Panny Viera consumer models. Unfortunately, the ISF ccc modes are attached to the Custom mode. CMS works very well, but decoding is clearly wrong, and this requires de-saturating color significantly. A setting of 40 on Color seems to yield the best results.
    I am kind of new to calibrating. Mostly calibrated some sets for myself and family and since a couple of weeks own an European TX-P50VT30.

Do I understand you right that I should starts with color at 40 (out of 60) and go from there into the CMS to get the best results? Thanks!

Thanks

PuntNL > Most US settings use a 0-100 scale.

Recreational HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
    Gotchaa,

I plugged in your settings last night and they are the best so far. They are close to the THX CNET settings which I still prefer over yours. Your latest settings were a tad dimmer than CNET's and a bit under-saturated on my set, but a very good starting place. Thanks for posting them. I could easily see tweaking your settings on my set and getting a good useable picture.

I made one change this AM, I set color to 42 and Panel brightness to Mid and I actually prefer this now for day time viewing. I also looked at the ISF Night settings and I can't say I'd use it during the day it's way to dim as you noticed so I think I will reserve this for evening/dark room viewing...I also did another ISF Day calibration with mid panel brightness and Cool1 but am not happy with it...wide gamma differences...at this point I am waiting till I get the Accupel pattern generator as I am not liking what I see on AVS HD709 disc, I get different readings from the Gamma/Grayscale patterns for white, I did not think this should be the case but it is....my next calibration will be at 200 hrs..

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gotchaa For This Useful Post:

Franchot (06-26-2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
    Thank you for the kind words Robert...

Best Regards
    Thank you Turbe. I very sincerely mean every word. If it were not for ControlCal and your outstanding personal support we could not have completed as many panels as we have and not been able to do them with the results we achieved.

World class software and service.

Much thanks for your brilliant programming and support.

-Robert

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Zohn For This Useful Post:

Turbe (06-26-2011)

Recreational HD User
    Thanks

(this latest version of vBulliten sucks so buggy quote not working again)

@LeRoyk, I am in the MJ series different factory...it is really low which I would not recommend for anything other than complete dark room.

cdm2= 36.87
    fL= 10.76

I am getting a D3 as well so we can compare results

Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information