Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: PANASONIC INSIDERS THREAD -rumors hints and info!

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default Re: PANASONIC INSIDERS THREAD -rumors hints and info!

What will it take to encourage people to buy a new TV?

This year seems to be the first in a long while when global TV shipments have dropped year-over-year. Some of this is because most people already have an HDTV flat panel. So what will it take to get them to buy a new one?

Speaking as an enthusiast I look for improvements in several areas before upgrading/replacing my old set:

1. Improvements in the technical aspects such as black levels, contrast ratio, and colour accuracy. These are areas where the Panny plasmas have improved tremendously in the last few years. Looking ahead, it seems that OLED will be able to pick up where plasma leaves off.

2. Larger screen sizes. Every time I upgrade I increase the screen size. One reason is that the source material keeps improving in technical and artistic quality. Another reason is that declining prices make the larger screens relatively more affordable. But this is an area where plasma's (for home use) have not been able to breach the 65 inch barrier whereas LCD's have.

3. New features. Smart TV's, 3D,etc. The value of these are very dependant on the individual user. I'm not a big fan of 3D but I do find the built-in wifi and streaming services to be handy. However, they are not enough by themselves to entice me to upgrade.

4. New Broadcast and Consumer Video formats. This is where UHD 4K comes in. The combination of greater resolution, higher frame rates, wider colour space, and greater bit depth amounts to a fundamental change. Potentially, this can be the biggest motivation of all to buy a new set. But the availability of UHD content is the key - preferably both blu-ray (for purchases) and streaming content (for rentals)!

So what would it take to get me to upgrade my 2 current systems:

Living room: I'm currently using a 60" GT50 plasma. Upgrading to a 65-70" 4K LCD is a possibility but I would have to verify that the black levels are acceptable. The Panasonic WT600 was very impressive in the store. OLED would be nice but will it be affordable?

Home Theatre: I'm currently using a JVC X35 D-ILA projector on a 110" cinemascope screen. The screen size is pretty much at the maximum the room can handle but a 4K projector would allow me to sit closer without seeing the pixel structure. An LED light source would also be desirable. For sure, 4K projectors will be affordable in 3 years. They might still be using conventional lamps though.

For me at least, I would only upgrade for 4K UHD because both my systems are already close to state-of-the-art for 1080P HDTV. I'd like to hear what other people are looking to improve in their own systems. Is it screen size? Technical picture quality? Is the design aspect important to you?

Would you just buy a 1080P 55" OLED and be happy? Nothing wrong with that.

What do you think the mass market is looking for? I think design, features, and price matter a lot to the typical buyer.

Please share your thoughts, especially as to how it may relate to avjunkie's upcoming hints for next year's Pannys.
    Last edited by BruceK; 10-30-2013 at 06:07 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceK For This Useful Post:

Chad_Thunder (10-31-2013)

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avjunkie View Post
    Just to be clear. You've read all the news out there also ..I'm not sure the type of display you want.
    I definitely got all the hints, not to worry. But I have enough respect for the Panasonic brand that I'm willing to wait to CES and see how good the new large size displays are. I said this before, I don't care about which technology something is, I just care about picture quality. I don't have to have the absolute best on the planet, but do want 70" or 75", above average black performance, above average off center viewing angles, and excellent color. Price is not that critical for me, but would prefer under $6,0000.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 2,095 Posts

Not the worst idea I've ever heard, that's for sure. I guess, first, I will ask admin what they think....then I guess...AVJ...what is your opinion, but I suspect it will need to stay in general displays....not sure where it could fit.

After thinking a bit more - I think it needs to stay where it's at. Plus, we just placed it here, don't need to keep moving things around I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post
    Gos - I like the idea of the new thread. As popular and, I believe, important as this thread is to HighDefJunkies, would you consider it appropriate to place it in a category all its own. Possibly as a direct link near the top of the forums.

I am sure that HDJ has people coming to browse from time to time bacuase they have heard of the great "Insider's" thread. Seems like it would be good to make it easier for them to find.

As info, it was this thread that led me here about two or three years ago.

Just a thought.
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Audiovisual Communicator Darth Cardo's Avatar
    Thanks

didn't post this before 'cos I assume you already knew about it...but it's been there for a while now and maybe someone missed it

CNET is giving away a ZT60, maybe you guys in the states should give it a try who knows

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7...onic-tc-pzt60/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Cardo For This Useful Post:

RichB (10-31-2013)

HDJ Platinum Club Member trent.memphis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tailwhip View Post
    Nice, I'll be going through the exact same situation. 54G10 in the living room will be pushed aside for the 65"VT which will eventually go to the new media room. I jumped while I could still get one and if needed, replacements are out there, for now! I hope it's a good upgrade, you just can't tell in the stores.
    That's quite a jump! I'll probably be staying in the 55" range. That's about as big as my viewing distance will allow. I'm just looking to upgrade the PQ.
    Display: Samsung 60" F8500
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR1007
    Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S6200
    Speakers: DefTech Mythos 6, 9, 6; BP1.2X; SuperCube III
    Vinyl: Michell GyroDec SE, Ortofon Red, Parasound 2100, Acurus A150

Official HDJ Industry Insider - Panasonic guy avjunkie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,914 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Not the worst idea I've ever heard, that's for sure. I guess, first, I will ask admin what they think....then I guess...AVJ...what is your opinion, but I suspect it will need to stay in general displays....not sure where it could fit.

After thinking a bit more - I think it needs to stay where it's at. Plus, we just placed it here, don't need to keep moving things around I guess.
    I had no idea we could do that. But as we already moved it let's just keep it as is. No need to confuse people even more.
    former pana guy. if you own a pana from pz700 to zt60 i thank you for buying what i poured my soul into.
    now just a normal member who has some insight and some sources.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

I had no idea we could do that. But as we already moved it let's just keep it as is. No need to confuse people even more.
    Stop press - from UK Avforums - Panasonic to stop plasma production. See here http://www.avforums.com/news/goodbye-plasma.9429

Thanks

Default PANASONIC INSIDERS THREAD -rumors hints and info!

Quote Originally Posted by joeppc View Post
    Stop press - from UK Avforums - Panasonic to stop plasma production. See here http://www.avforums.com/news/goodbye-plasma.9429
    Yes. I got the news from elsewhere but it's the same. Only I can say is thanks Panasonic for developing this great technology and together with Pioneer you guys pushed the envelope to drive and revolutionize the market. If it wasn't for plasma, who knows what LCD would look like today.

Looking to the future now

Thanks

Sadly we let go of plasma. While the press release is more general I'll be a bit more forthcoming.
    Unfortunately price competition made it hard to be profitable. That's true. But the untold story I'll touch on.
    Internally the wrong message pr wise was being told about plasma from the beginning. Too many changes internally. Too much stubborn office politics. And not enough support when you need it. It'll be the doom of any line. The main reason we have to move on is technology hit a roadblock. We simply cannot make a 4k plasma in a reasonable manner for retail without significant investment and that'll carry a big time price tag. When the company is bleeding money a responsible business leader would choose to mitigate risk and go with established technologies and also pursue future ones. I've always said .. The company of the future. . That is ahead of everyone else. . Is SONY. Panasonic is now on that same path. As will every other Japanese company. Japanese companies will rise again stronger than ever. It will just take time but I'm very very confident that the most innovative products the world has ever seen will only come from japan.

So yes. The line is Led and no pdp for 2014.ive hinted it for as long as i can. But I can finally let that out. And we originally had pdp on the table as a big option .. But mgmt said no go. I do as I'm told. Many will be laid off today as a result of this news. My prayers are with all of us here at Panasonic.
    former pana guy. if you own a pana from pz700 to zt60 i thank you for buying what i poured my soul into.

12. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to avjunkie For This Useful Post:

5150zx (10-31-2013), agkss (10-31-2013), cajieboy (11-07-2013), cockatiel (10-31-2013), Darth Cardo (10-31-2013), DavidHir (10-31-2013), douchyhat (10-31-2013), gadgtfreek (10-31-2013), GOS (10-31-2013), Greg_QVC (10-31-2013), heckheck (11-03-2013), Infusion (11-01-2013), kagey (11-04-2013), KilgoreTrout (10-31-2013), ljm (11-02-2013), melvin (10-31-2013), myared (10-31-2013), nhang (11-01-2013), Rebellion (11-05-2013), RichB (10-31-2013), rosmarc (11-28-2013), Scott_L (10-31-2013), speedking (10-31-2013), SpHeRe31459 (10-31-2013), Supernsa (11-03-2013), tailwhip (10-31-2013), TWD (10-31-2013)

Thanks

But I'll add the goal these last few months is to get our led performance to match the pdp line. And our engineers feel .. They have come very close. 😉

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to avjunkie For This Useful Post:

cajieboy (11-07-2013), cockatiel (10-31-2013), gadgtfreek (10-31-2013), GOS (10-31-2013), nhang (11-01-2013), RichB (10-31-2013), speedking (10-31-2013), Supernsa (11-03-2013), TWD (10-31-2013), V_squared (11-07-2013), zeuspaul (10-31-2013)

Thanks

I'm very very confident that the most innovative products the world has ever seen will only come from japan.
    I like that. Very much

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Thanks AVJ. A sad day indeed. End of an era. When Pioneer left, Plasma was still a viable technology. But this signals the end of the technology. We all knew it was coming, but the finality of it is sad. I feel for the employees whose lives will be impacted due to this decision. I've been there.

Good luck to Panasonic in the future with the LED and OLED products.

Take care.
    Last edited by TWD; 10-31-2013 at 09:51 AM.

IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 3,787 Posts

Sadly we let go of plasma. While the press release is more general I'll be a bit more forthcoming.
    Unfortunately price competition made it hard to be profitable. That's true. But the untold story I'll touch on.
    Internally the wrong message pr wise was being told about plasma from the beginning. Too many changes internally. Too much stubborn office politics. And not enough support when you need it. It'll be the doom of any line. The main reason we have to move on is technology hit a roadblock. We simply cannot make a 4k plasma in a reasonable manner for retail without significant investment and that'll carry a big time price tag. When the company is bleeding money a responsible business leader would choose to mitigate risk and go with established technologies and also pursue future ones. I've always said .. The company of the future. . That is ahead of everyone else. . Is SONY. Panasonic is now on that same path. As will every other Japanese company. Japanese companies will rise again stronger than ever. It will just take time but I'm very very confident that the most innovative products the world has ever seen will only come from japan.

So yes. The line is Led and no pdp for 2014.ive hinted it for as long as i can. But I can finally let that out. And we originally had pdp on the table as a big option .. But mgmt said no go. I do as I'm told. Many will be laid off today as a result of this news. My prayers are with all of us here at Panasonic.
    I know I speak for many on here that would like to thank you for keeping us in the "loop" and at the same time not violating your company guidelines on disclosure...without telling us directly you left enough hints about the end of plasma...it's too bad internal disagreements and office politics led Panasonic to this point...but hopefully lessons can be learned so history does not repeat itself...IMO Panasonic took plasma to a different level...even farther than Pioneer did...as Pioneer could never produce a cost effective plasma display that offers so much for the consumer..

I have no doubt that Panasonic can once again lead the industry to even greater heights...and as much as I have disliked their policy of proprietary accessories Sony has had some great tech people...at times the only thing that stopped Sony was Sony...their clumsy and misguided marketing hides the brilliance of their technical achievements...I think an alliance between Sony and Panasonic could be a game changer...call it a partnership...something which Japanese companies can do better than anyone else....

If Japanese companies can regroup and work together they can rise to the top again...I see a decline in the Korean faction in the future...if you build a business the right way it will reap the benefits long term..but conversely..if you just throw money at everything to achieve short term results you have a weak base of operations that will eventually collapse...that's what I see from Samsung...they were able to buy their way to this point...but against an organized and determined Japanese coalition..working together..they will be defeated...the Japanese work ethic is second to none and what we know from history is they are very resilient and have a deep sense of pride in what they do and how they do it...this translates to business as well...

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to speedking For This Useful Post:

cajieboy (11-07-2013), Darth Cardo (10-31-2013), Irwinroad (10-31-2013), ljm (11-02-2013), RichB (10-31-2013), tailwhip (10-31-2013)

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 2,316 Posts

But I'll add the goal these last few months is to get our led performance to match the pdp line. And our engineers feel .. They have come very close. 😉
    Ill be watching two things next year, your LCD's and Samsung Plasmas (just because they are it).

I'll be in my two year upgrade window about this time next year, so it'll be curious where we are at. Shootout will be interesting next year as well. What Im seeing is for the foreseeable future, due to cost and the unknown, large LCD's are all I have as a choice. I'll want 4K, and Im not trusting of OLED at this point.

I know Panasonic makes good stuff, and its reliable, so Im sure now that your focus is in LCD's, we should see good things.
    65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
    Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
    Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
    Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500 / Tivo Roamio

Thanks

But I'll add the goal these last few months is to get our led performance to match the pdp line. And our engineers feel .. They have come very close. ��
    This makes me curious, cant wait to hear more.
    65" VT50 / BDP-S7200

IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Thanks

But I'll add the goal these last few months is to get our led performance to match the pdp line. And our engineers feel .. They have come very close. 
    I'm for whatever it takes to get Panasonic back on track...stop the bleeding and return to profitability...that's the first goal...and if the refinement of LCD tech is the answer...that works for me...because once the bottom line is "healthy" again.. the R&D money will flow again...leading to new tech discoveries and a brighter future for all of us...

Thanks

Avjunkie,

Since I have not kept up with LCD much (I do own a 2009 Panasonic), do you build your own panels or get them from someone else?
    65" VT50 / BDP-S7200

IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Thanks

The official statement HERE

24. The Following User Says Thank You to speedking For This Useful Post:

cockatiel (10-31-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
    Avjunkie,

Since I have not kept up with LCD much (I do own a 2009 Panasonic), do you build your own panels or get them from someone else?
    Doesn't matter as it's all Panasonic quality end of the day. But most led panel are sourced but the rest is all us. Many manufacturers source same parts but the products turn out very different.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avjunkie For This Useful Post:

gadgtfreek (10-31-2013), speedking (10-31-2013)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

avjunkie,

Your hints made me decide less than 3 weeks ago to replace my 2008 Panasonic plasma with a VT60 right now, which was something I initially planned to do next year. The colour rendition on the VT 60 alone is better than my previous plasma connected to a Lumagen Radiance and the improvement in blacks is much greater than I anticipated. I just wanted to thank you as I would probably have missed the boat completely without your hints.

I hope there will be advances in display tech to bring UltraHD with larger screen sizes and better picture quality than what plasma could achieve. I don't feel this can happen with LCD, but we'll see. Until this becomes affordable reality, I'll have a very nice screen to watch

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boum For This Useful Post:

avjunkie (10-31-2013), speedking (10-31-2013), tailwhip (10-31-2013)

Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread Information