"The crazies have breached the containment area!"
Distribution Studio Anchor Bay/Overture Films
Director Breck Eisner
BO Release Date February 26, 2010
BD Release Date June 29, 2010
MPAA Rating R, for bloody violence and language.
Genres Political Thriller, Horror
Runtime 1 Hr. 41 Mins.
Video 1080p/24 (fps) | 2.40:1 | VC-1
Audio English 5.1 Dolby Digital (Default) | English PCM 5.1 Uncompressed
Subtitle English SDH (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing), Spanish
OTHER MOVIE COMPARISON
Resident Evil meets 30 Days of Night | Children of the Corn, Zombieland, The Road, Quarantine, Daybreakers, The Signal, Legion, Invasion of the Body Snatcher, Edge of Darkness, Outbreak, I Am Legend, Doomsday, The Happening, Doom, District 9, A Perfect Getaway
WHAT'S THE MOVIE ABOUT?
The military accidentally crashed landed near a small town of Ogden Marsh, Iowa. The plane was filled with a dangerous highly contagious experimental biological toxin that turns the town folks into violent murderous psychopaths. As the government is trying to cover up the incident, Sheriff David Dutton (Timothy Olyphant - Hitman, Scream 2, Live Free or Die Hard), his wife Judy (Radha Mitchell - Surrogate, Pitch Black), and Deputy Russell (Joe Anderson) find themselves in a fight for survival as their once peaceful small town is now an epidemic outbreak containment area.
TRAILERS, CLIPS, AND MUSIC VIDEOS
Gary Jules - Mad World
BARNEY'S BOOMOO FUNFACTS AND TRIVIA
Barney does not assume the accuracy for these funfacts. They are to be used for entertainment purposes only.
- Breck Eisner directed Sahara (2005).
- The original The Crazies (1973) was directed by George A. Romero. He's the father of all of the Dawn of the Dead series.
- Romero was originally slated to write and direct Resident Evil (2002). He dropped out of the project due to some creative and direction differences with the film and studio.
- Romero resented the movie producers and studio for not doing a good job at promoting The Crazies when it first came out in 1973. He blames a large portion on them for the movie failure.
- Co-writer Scott Kosar also worked on The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003).
- Gary Jules' "Mad World" was only heard in the trailers for The Crazies. It was never played in the actual movie, nor listed in the soundtrack. However, "Mad World" was performed by Gary Jules on the Donnie Darko soundtrack in 2001-02.
- "Mad World" was originally performed by Tears for Fears 20 years earlier, back in 1982. The song was their first Top 40 hit and their first music video.
- The original script for the 1973 The Crazies was written by Romero's friend and co-worker Paul McCollough. Its title was "The Mad People".
- The Crazies (1973) took place in Evans City, Pennsylvania. The Crazies (2010) took place in Ogden Marsh, Iowa.
- Like the original, the term "the crazies" was coined by the soldier referring to the mad town's people. It was uttered only once the entire movie. The rest of the time, it was more PC to use the term "sick" instead.
- What was on the plane was "Trixie", a prototype Rhabdovirus. Rhabdoviridae is family of over 75 species of viri. Most notorious is the Lyssavirus Genus Rabies virus (or just Rabies for short :D. I know, Barney is soOoo smart, aint he?). Once bitten by an infected host, half actually acquire the disease. However, if the infection becomes symptomatic and untreated, death is certain... Trixie was highly the probable viral agent in Quarantine (2008).
- Trixie is Speed Racer's girlfriend. In the 2008 Speed Racer movie, young Trixie was played by Ariel Winter. Ariel starred as Julie in the first episode of Jericho (2006-TV), similar theme to The Crazies. The older Trixie was played by Christina Ricci (Wednesday Addams of The Addams Family (1991)).
- According to the Urban Dictionary, trixie is defined as "white yuppy slang; a rich blonde chicago yuppy whore who thinks its ok to be a whore because she lives off daddies money, and actually has nothing interesting about her but her oral skills".
OK, why do I feel the urge to put a picture of Paris Hilton next to this definition?
BD MAIN MENU
BD PLAYERS PERFORMANCE
Total Loading Time: 0 min. 50 sec. | OSD Shift: Yes | Subtitle Shift: Yes | Zoom: Yes
Firmware Version: 10-1230
Sony PlayStation 3 80GB
Total Loading Time: 1 min. 02 sec.
Firmware Version: 3.40
Total Loading Time: 1 min. 03 sec.
Firmware Version: 2.1
Total Loading Time: 1 min. 22 sec.
Firmware Version: 2.3
DISC FEATURES, BONUS MATERIALS, AND PACKAGE CONTENT WORTH NOTING
- Annoying Menu Button Sound or Option No
- Secondary Audio Yes, audio commentary with director Breck Eisner.
- Skip Previews "Shortcut" Yes
- Behind the Scene with Director Breck Eisner Paranormal Pandemics The George A Romero Template Make-up Mastermind: Rob Hall in Action The Crazies Motion Comic Episode 1 The Crazies Motion Comic Episode 2 Visual Effects in Motion Storyboards: Building a Scene Behind the Scenes Photo Gallery
WHADABOUT THE MOVIE BARNEY?
Boomoo Collection Worthiness (Local Rental)
Overall Home Theater Experience
Barney's Comment on the Movie
Movie: Stupid So-So [ Spectacular ]
Like Robin Hood (2010), The Crazies is not one of the worst movie I've seen this year. That honor I'm afraid goes to the well deserved Parnassus. On the contrary, it is actually a great flick. I know many folks didn't like this movie, saying it's too predictable and all. Nevertheless, it is still entertaining, at least to me. The plot has enough material to make you want to watch it through, all the way to ending. Having the setting in a small town in Heartland America with the endless wheat and corn fields was brilliant. I'm a fan of the political thriller theme. This is a well made remake (tho I have not seen the original). It has sparked some interests in me to view the original George Romero's 1973 classic. I'm hooked and already considering punching my ticket for The Crazy Too if they decides to make it. I hope they do.
Barney Rating the Video
Overall Picture Quality Rating
Picture Clarity and Sharpness
Color Richness and Saturation
Picture Detail and Definition
1080p/24fps OFF | Subtitle is placed within the picture area.
Barney Rating the Audio
Note the default audio track is 5.1 Dolby Digital. I've changed it manually to 5.1 PCM for this review under the settings menu option. Overall an excellent surround sound mix just lacking a balanced volume output and more dynamics to fill the front stage would have been nice (most were to the surrounds).
Overall Audio Presentation Rating
Detail, Integrity, Resolution, and Definition
Dynamics (Bass, Treble, Separation, and Transition)
Ambient Background Music and Soundtrack
Low Frequency Effects
DRC: Off | Bitstream to Onkyo 805 | Reference Listening Volume : 56.0 db (abs)| Late Nite Mode: Off | Re-EQ: Off | 7.2 Surround Sound Setup
The Crazies is a strong rental recommend, with confidence. I'm still on the fence about adding it to my boomoo collection. I think what will drive its stock up is if (and when) they announce the sequel The Crazies Too? Yaw enjoy... and try not over-analyze the movie too much; to the point where you missed the plot.