Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Damn

  1. #1
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Damn


    My Ps3 froze up while my kid was playing GH. Now it won't read any discs at all. Is the BD drive screwed?
    L2W you will be missed.

  2. #2
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,558
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 386 Times in 280 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    My Ps3 froze up while my kid was playing GH. Now it won't read any discs at all. Is the BD drive screwed?
    I think you need to download a 14gb system update, along with about 2 days worth of game updates, then it should be fine.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  3. #3
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,840
    Thanks
    1,335
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 906 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    The man's tongue is in his cheek, but actually it might work; I indeed would try flashing the firmware just in case it's a software problem. If that fails, then the hardware is likely, in which case we're obviously talking about some money. Be cheap: try the firmware first. I mean, what could it hurt at this point, right?

    Yours,

    David

  4. #4
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    The man's tongue is in his cheek, but actually it might work; I indeed would try flashing the firmware just in case it's a software problem. If that fails, then the hardware is likely, in which case we're obviously talking about some money. Be cheap: try the firmware first. I mean, what could it hurt at this point, right?

    Yours,

    David
    Tried that and a system reset. Probably have to send off for a coffin.
    L2W you will be missed.

  5. #5
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,840
    Thanks
    1,335
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 906 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Tried that and a system reset. Probably have to send off for a coffin.
    ...

    Damn.


    Okay, if it's not under warranty, then I suppose it's off to the repair shop.

    Yours,

    David

  6. #6
    HDJ Platinum Club Member GLOW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Midwest Coast
    Posts
    866
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 94 Times in 71 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    What model PS3 do you have, mytime? So the PS3 works normally with the exception of the drive, huh? Hmm.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator bravestime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    58
    Posts
    7,301
    Thanks
    521
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Sorry to hear mytime. When did you buy it?


    Living Room: Pioneer KRP-500M, Denon AVR-1911, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Sony PS3, Logitech Harmony One
    5.2 Definitive Technology Audio System
    (4) Definitive Technology 1000 Speakers, Definitive Technology 2000 ProCenter, (2) Definitive Technology Super Cube III
    Bedroom: Sony 46XBR2, Onkyo TX-SR705, Sony BDP-S550, Logitech Harmony H659

  8. #8
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    More than likely the drive died, that's probably why it froze up during GH.
    Either try to replace the drive yourself or send it to sony (after trying a firmware flash, but those rarely fix drive problems)

  9. #9
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
    What model PS3 do you have, mytime? So the PS3 works normally with the exception of the drive, huh? Hmm.
    A FAT 40 GIG from 2008. It will be 2 yrs old in July.
    L2W you will be missed.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    29,397
    Thanks
    3,152
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 2,071 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    My Ps3 froze up while my kid was playing GH. Now it won't read any discs at all. Is the BD drive screwed?
    That sucks. I just don't understand why those gaming consoles don't last longer. I think we've gone though 8-10 over the last 15 years. WTF??? What a rip off.
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

  11. #11
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,558
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 386 Times in 280 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Replace the drive yourself. Should be a piece of cake
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  12. #12
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    HoW does this sound? I think Mon I'm just going to buy a new Ps3 and see how many games I can get for the broken one at Game stop.
    L2W you will be missed.

  13. #13
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I thought you could return any broken ps3 to sony and they would sell you a refurb for $150.
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

  14. #14
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
    I thought you could return any broken ps3 to sony and they would sell you a refurb for $150.
    They will. I just think a new slim is the way to go. If i can get a $100 store credit for it then a new one cost only $50 more than a refurb.
    L2W you will be missed.

  15. #15
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    True, it does sound like the slim is the way to go. Sorry about your ps3 btw.
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

  16. #16
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Back in business. Picked up a new slim today.
    L2W you will be missed.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    29,397
    Thanks
    3,152
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 2,071 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    They will. I just think a new slim is the way to go. If i can get a $100 store credit for it then a new one cost only $50 more than a refurb.
    $100 store credit from where? Where did you buy the unit in the first place? My son has PS3 that is having trouble reading games. Just all of a sudden. He paid cash at Best Buy, but like a dummy, didn't use his reward zone account - so I guess they have way of pulling up his receipt (which he didn't save). What options does he have then? What should we do?
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

  18. #18
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked 881 Times in 723 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    $100 store credit from where? Where did you buy the unit in the first place? My son has PS3 that is having trouble reading games. Just all of a sudden. He paid cash at Best Buy, but like a dummy, didn't use his reward zone account - so I guess they have way of pulling up his receipt (which he didn't save). What options does he have then? What should we do?
    Game stop will give you something for it. He could just send it to Sony and for $150 the will send you back a refurb. I'm sending the old one back so I will have 2. Just went to Sears today and bought a new one. This time I bought a 2 yr protection plan. I bought my original unit at K-Mart.
    L2W you will be missed.

  19. #19
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Game stop will give you something for it. He could just send it to Sony and for $150 the will send you back a refurb. I'm sending the old one back so I will have 2. Just went to Sears today and bought a new one. This time I bought a 2 yr protection plan. I bought my original unit at K-Mart.
    Just as a warning about extended two year protection plans: If your ps3 dies and you can't deactivate the account on it (you only get 5 activations) Sony will try their hardest to not do a global activation reset on your account *unless* you have it repaired/exchanged through them.

    On a sidenote sony is now offering extended warranties for ps3's directly themselves. 1 and 2 year plans are $45 and $60 respectively, both extra warranty times begin *after* your manufacturer warranty expires.
    http://us.playstation.com/support/pr...plan/index.htm

    Just throwing it out there, some places have better extended warranties than the one Sony offers but it's still a pretty decent option.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •