Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Are Polk Audio good entry level speakers?

  1. #1
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Are Polk Audio good entry level speakers?


    Quick background, I am picking up a Panasonic 55VT30, Onkyo NR609 Receiver and a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player next week and don't want to use my old speakers with the nice new setup. I am using crappy HTiB speakers right now just to have something better than the TV audio in my living room. A friend at work picked up some Polk Audio speakers about a year ago and has never used them (still new in box) as he moved from his house to a condo and they are too big for his living room.

    Polk Audio:
    Monitor 70 - set of 2
    CS2
    Monitor 30 - set of 2

    Total price - $575

    Amazon has the Monitor 70s for $210 each, the Monitor 30s for $100 each and the CS2 for $150. I like the deal from my friend but want to make sure the speakers are decent for the price. I will still need to pick up a new subwoofer to go with them and not sure what to get yet.

  2. #2
    "Use the Force Luke" KuroHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hays, KS
    Age
    33
    Posts
    877
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 57 Times in 53 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Those are great speakers! I use Polk Monitor 40s and CS2 in my home theater and they have given me years of enjoyment.
    Reference or Bust

  3. #3
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,181
    Thanks
    7,371
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wink View Post
    Quick background, I am picking up a Panasonic 55VT30, Onkyo NR609 Receiver and a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player next week and don't want to use my old speakers with the nice new setup. I am using crappy HTiB speakers right now just to have something better than the TV audio in my living room. A friend at work picked up some Polk Audio speakers about a year ago and has never used them (still new in box) as he moved from his house to a condo and they are too big for his living room.

    Polk Audio:
    Monitor 70 - set of 2
    CS2
    Monitor 30 - set of 2

    Total price - $575

    Amazon has the Monitor 70s for $210 each, the Monitor 30s for $100 each and the CS2 for $150. I like the deal from my friend but want to make sure the speakers are decent for the price. I will still need to pick up a new subwoofer to go with them and not sure what to get yet.

    Let me mention a few things...the "deal" your friend is offering isn't that great...as much as I like Amazon...and I do...they are not usually the place to price/buy Polk speakers...Newegg is better...now keep in mind that the prices here get lower and shipping is free on some of their sales..this one ends 6/5...and when it comes to Polk..they have sales a LOT...check the prices here

    I like Polks..and they give you a lot of bang for the buck..BUT...I'm not so sure how they will sound with an Onkyo...some receivers and speakers are a bad match...you need to listen to them "together" to decide if they might be sounding too bright...

  4. #4
    HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,091
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 572 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I have monitor 60's, cs1 and owm3 surrounds.

    They sounded ok with my Onkyo 605, but sound far far better with my Pioneer Elite VSX-33. Truly a night and day difference. I used to think the world of Onkyo. But listening to Denon and Pio Elite receivers changed my opinion. (this like many things is a person to person preference though)

    There are far better speakers out there but those will serve you well so long as you don't go auditioning higher end speakers.

    I don't think that is all that great of a deal price wise. If you lived near St. Louis I would cut you a super deal on my 60's, CS1 and Polk PSW10.
    I own some stuff.

  5. #5
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,181
    Thanks
    7,371
    Thanked 4,819 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    I have monitor 60's, cs1 and owm3 surrounds.

    They sounded ok with my Onkyo 605, but sound far far better with my Pioneer Elite VSX-33. Truly a night and day difference. I used to think the world of Onkyo. But listening to Denon and Pio Elite receivers changed my opinion. (this like many things is a person to person preference though)

    There are far better speakers out there but those will serve you well so long as you don't go auditioning higher end speakers.

    I don't think that is all that great of a deal price wise. If you lived near St. Louis I would cut you a super deal on my 60's, CS1 and Polk PSW10.
    That's one of the reasons I like Denon...they seem to be more "neutral" and adapt to more speakers without the glaring differences you see with some receivers...

    Your statement about Polks is spot on...they are very affordable and good speakers...as long as you don't start comparing them with higher end speakers..and then the difference is huge..and it depends on your listening area...in smaller areas the Polks do much better

  6. #6
    HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,091
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 572 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedking View Post
    That's one of the reasons I like Denon...they seem to be more "neutral" and adapt to more speakers without the glaring differences you see with some receivers...

    Your statement about Polks is spot on...they are very affordable and good speakers...as long as you don't start comparing them with higher end speakers..and then the difference is huge..and it depends on your listening area...in smaller areas the Polks do much better
    The Denon's are great receivers. The main reason I chose Pio over them was the lack of tweakability with Audyssey.

  7. #7
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I dont know, I mean you can get into some psb's from dmc electronics at this price point. $220 can get you a set of psb alpha b-1's, now these are only book shelf's, but will blow the doors off of the monitor 70's. I used to own Polk's all I can say is I am so glad I don't anymore, and would gladly choose either those psb's or some KEF IQ10's over anything in the polk monitor line.

  8. #8
    "Use the Force Luke" KuroHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hays, KS
    Age
    33
    Posts
    877
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 57 Times in 53 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    I have monitor 60's, cs1 and owm3 surrounds.

    They sounded ok with my Onkyo 605, but sound far far better with my Pioneer Elite VSX-33. Truly a night and day difference. I used to think the world of Onkyo. But listening to Denon and Pio Elite receivers changed my opinion. (this like many things is a person to person preference though)

    There are far better speakers out there but those will serve you well so long as you don't go auditioning higher end speakers.

    I don't think that is all that great of a deal price wise. If you lived near St. Louis I would cut you a super deal on my 60's, CS1 and Polk PSW10.
    Agreed. I use to power my Polks with an old Onkyo reciever and it was very bright. With the VSX-32 they sound much better. I now have my front Polk Monitor 40s and CS2 center powered by an Emotiva XPA-3 and that transformed them. Almost like a new speaker. Im currently saving for new speakers that can handle more power cause the XPA-3 has power to spare.
    Reference or Bust

  9. #9
    HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,091
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 572 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by KuroHD View Post
    Agreed. I use to power my Polks with an old Onkyo reciever and it was very bright. With the VSX-32 they sound much better. I now have my front Polk Monitor 40s and CS2 center powered by an Emotiva XPA-3 and that transformed them. Almost like a new speaker. Im currently saving for new speakers that can handle more power cause the XPA-3 has power to spare.
    The Polks are power hungry and really need more than a receiver to shine.
    I own some stuff.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •