Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Used Paradigm Atom's?

  1. #1
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Used Paradigm Atom's?


    Hey All -

    I've come across a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitor's (v.3), a CC-170, and a pair of ADP 150's for a total of $300 dollars. Assuming they are all in excellent working order, would anyone recommend going used vs. v.6 new? Or are the 2011 equivalents that much better in performance? I've heard the v.6's in person and they sound fantastic, but I figured I'd ask here first before testing the older one's myself and potentially wasting both party's time.

    Note: I need a 5.1 system and floorstanding is not an option (living room and aesthetics are everything to my wife). I've done enough research (thanks to L2W and others here) to determine the Paradigm Atom's are the right choice. I just didn't know if they've made any major leaps in the last 6-8 to justify the cost. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Casual HD User Akkuma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Note: I need a 5.1 system and floorstanding is not an option (living room and aesthetics are everything to my wife).
    One thing I never understood was why floorstanders are out of the question for some people if you need stands to put bookshelves on.

    My understanding that with that big a gap between versions you might hear quite a difference. You should try to find some info on the older version if at all possible. I've read Paradigm has come a long way from their v1.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Akkuma For This Useful Post:

    Trey (07-11-2011)

  4. #3
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Used Paradigm Atom's?

    Are the v.5/6 better yes, do they warrant the extra cost yes. Is three hundred dollars for the set you are looking at an amazing deal yes. If you have the money always go newer/bigger/better. If you are on a budget then jump on those speakers, that is a fantastic deal provided they haven't been abused. While paradigm has come along way from v.1's the v.1's still kick ass!! I have an old beat up pair of monitor 9 v2 in a secondary setup and they still absolutely rock.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to CALIBER For This Useful Post:

    Trey (07-11-2011)

  6. #4
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Used Paradigm Atom's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akkuma View Post
    One thing I never understood was why floorstanders are out of the question for some people if you need stands to put bookshelves on.

    My understanding that with that big a gap between versions you might hear quite a difference. You should try to find some info on the older version if at all possible. I've read Paradigm has come a long way from their v1.
    Thanks. My setup is designed where there's no need for stands (crappy camera phone picture attached. Yes, those white specs are soon to sold Bose Lifestyle satellite's... I was once young and dumb). The entertainment unit was just purchased and wife/mother in law are dying to accessorize it. The colors on the Paradigm's are not exactly a match, but I can pick a finish to make them work.

    Quote Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
    Are the v.5/6 better yes, do they warrant the extra cost yes. Is three hundred dollars for the set you are looking at an amazing deal yes. If you have the money always go newer/bigger/better. If you are on a budget then jump on those speakers, that is a fantastic deal provided they haven't been abused. While paradigm has come along way from v.1's the v.1's still kick ass!! I have an old beat up pair of monitor 9 v2 in a secondary setup and they still absolutely rock.
    Appreciate the reply and exactly what I was looking for. One other note I should have pointed out, the current owner is willing to split it up to sell the Atom's ($100), CC-170 ($100), and ADP-150's ($100) individually. Would it make sense to go new in some areas and take advantage of these used prices anywhere else? Thinking out loud, it seems like the 150's @ $100/pair would present a good deal, but was interested in getting an expert's opinion on this.

    Thanks again to both for quick response.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mms_picture.jpg  

  7. #5
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Used Paradigm Atom's?


    I would go with the whole setup if I were you. Use any savings towards a nice new sub.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to CALIBER For This Useful Post:

    Trey (07-11-2011)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •