Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

  1. #1
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada Eh?
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Thinking of upgrading my speakers


    Hey everyone.

    So long story short, I was hoping to get a new TV this year, but that doesn't seem to be working out so well. So instead of that, I was thinking of getting new speakers and selling my Polks.

    At the moment, I have:

    - Polk Audio Monitor 60 fronts
    - Polk Audio CS1 center
    - Polk Audio Monitor 30 rears
    - Polk RM6750 sub (which isn't as bad as it appears to be, although I do need a new sub)
    - My receiver is the Yamaha RX-V667 which I just recently bought to replace a Sony STR-DG820.

    What would be reasonable prices to ask for these? They are all in great condition and work just fine. Anyway, as for speakers that I was considering, I was looking at Paradigm. I have heard many good things about their speakers, what do you guys think of them?

    I was thinking of this:

    - Monitor 9 v6 fronts ($800/pair)
    - CC-290 Center ($398)
    - Not sure which rears go with the above.

    Is this a good setup and how would these compare to my Polks? Will the Yamaha receiver be able to drive these speakers properly?

    Thanks so much for helping.

  2. #2
    T'wasn't me! ckone180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 101 Times in 83 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    I would upgrade the sub, and see how the overall setup increases. Then maybe you will still want to upgrade the others.

    The AVR is adequate to run the Paradigms and most other sets.
    Something' amiss.

  3. #3
    T'wasn't me! ckone180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 101 Times in 83 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Your current sub, if you choose to call it a sub, has a -3db rating of 3 hz below your fronts. 45 vs 48. Your best upgrade is the sub, IMHO.
    Something' amiss.

  4. #4
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    You will definitely want to upgrade your sub. The monitor 9's will open your eyes to the way a speaker should sound. Now all that being said I think the sub is first up, but you should definitely upgrade the speakers too. Now you really should do some auditioning I mean the monitor 9's are fantastic but you might find offerings from other companies to sound better to YOU. Other brands to check out would be PSB,KEF,DEF Tech,Energy, and Klipsch. Find some local dealers and bring your favorite movie or cd and start auditioning!!!

  5. #5
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada Eh?
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Thanks guys. Yeah the subwoofer needs to be upgraded. I'm actually trying to sell my Polk RM6750 system so I can buy a new subwoofer. The thing about subwoofers though, is that I don't have very many options here in Canada. Future Shop and Best Buy don't sell very many subwoofers and most of them are expensive. The only places that have good ones are smaller dealers and they are too expensive, especially if I'm buying new speakers. However, there are U.S. sites that I can buy from, but then if there's a problem or I don't like it I have to pay for return shipping. Amazon.ca has the BIC America V1220 for $264 and AcousticSoundDesign is selling the BIC PL-200 for $329 through Amazon.com with supposedly free shipping because at the final checkout it doesn't charge me shipping, but their website does. Finding a new subwoofer here is a challenge, the good subs are all from U.S. stores/sites. Future Shop sells Polk, Velodyne, Klipsch, Energy, Yamaha and Martin Logan subs. Best Buy sells Infinity, Klipsch, JBL, Boston Acoustics, Precision Acoustics (which is supposedly a house brand) and Yamaha subs.

    Out of curiosity, I emailed HSU research about their VTF2-MK3 and how much it would cost including shipping. It would cost $233 to ship it to Canada. That $509 (sale price) subwoofer would cost me $742. Ouch.

    As for the speakers, I can't audition them for about a week or so, and the place where I would go doesn't have prices listed on their website. The store that has them at those prices is farther away and might not have them on sale when I am able to go my local dealer, but this place has everything on sale almost everyday so they will go back down if they do go up. The thing that worries me is that the store that is farther away says they are only authorized to sell Paradigm within their local market, their website doesn't sell them. I live a few cities away, does that mean even if I drove there they wouldn't sell me them? If that's the case I hope my local dealer will still price match them.

  6. #6
    T'wasn't me! ckone180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 101 Times in 83 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    I was just letting you know that upgrading the sub may make you change your mind. The speakers you have are capable of working nicely. No, they are not the best, but they are far from the worst. I have come to the realization that you need a much larger budget when upgrading from mid-level speakers to get a decent return. JMHO.

    The PL-200 is a fine sub choice. It is miles beyond the Polk sub that barely passes as a "sub" of any sort. I really wouldn't call that a sub.
    Something' amiss.

  7. #7
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye360 View Post
    Thanks guys. Yeah the subwoofer needs to be upgraded. I'm actually trying to sell my Polk RM6750 system so I can buy a new subwoofer. The thing about subwoofers though, is that I don't have very many options here in Canada. Future Shop and Best Buy don't sell very many subwoofers and most of them are expensive. The only places that have good ones are smaller dealers and they are too expensive, especially if I'm buying new speakers. However, there are U.S. sites that I can buy from, but then if there's a problem or I don't like it I have to pay for return shipping. Amazon.ca has the BIC America V1220 for $264 and AcousticSoundDesign is selling the BIC PL-200 for $329 through Amazon.com with supposedly free shipping because at the final checkout it doesn't charge me shipping, but their website does. Finding a new subwoofer here is a challenge, the good subs are all from U.S. stores/sites. Future Shop sells Polk, Velodyne, Klipsch, Energy, Yamaha and Martin Logan subs. Best Buy sells Infinity, Klipsch, JBL, Boston Acoustics, Precision Acoustics (which is supposedly a house brand) and Yamaha subs.

    Out of curiosity, I emailed HSU research about their VTF2-MK3 and how much it would cost including shipping. It would cost $233 to ship it to Canada. That $509 (sale price) subwoofer would cost me $742. Ouch.

    As for the speakers, I can't audition them for about a week or so, and the place where I would go doesn't have prices listed on their website. The store that has them at those prices is farther away and might not have them on sale when I am able to go my local dealer, but this place has everything on sale almost everyday so they will go back down if they do go up. The thing that worries me is that the store that is farther away says they are only authorized to sell Paradigm within their local market, their website doesn't sell them. I live a few cities away, does that mean even if I drove there they wouldn't sell me them? If that's the case I hope my local dealer will still price match them.
    NO you can buy from any dealer no matter how far away they are as long as you are willing to make the drive.

  8. #8
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada Eh?
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Yeah that's what I thought. I'm going to email my local dealer to see if they will price match, just so I don't have to drive two hours to the other store.

    What rear speakers from Paradigm would match with the Monitor 9s and CC-290 center? I was looking at the Atom Monitors for $255 a pair.

  9. #9
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    If it was me I would save a few bucks and get the micro monitors, that is what I use and they are great. The atoms are a better speaker but I doubt you would see where your money went with the atoms as far as the rears are concerned, as they only produce ambient sounds.

  10. #10
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada Eh?
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    The Micro Monitors are $239/pair and the Atom Monitors are $255/pair, so the Atom's are the ones to get for a bit more I would assume.

    Well the prices of everything went back up, but they will be back on sale within a week I bet.
    Last edited by Hawkeye360; 07-30-2011 at 02:54 AM.

  11. #11
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Where are you getting that pricing for the Atoms?? I know the v.5 sold for $250, but when I got my v.6's they were like $350 and my dealer cut me a deal and sold them to me for $290. Hey the atoms are a much better speaker by all means go for it, last I checked there was a $100 difference, if it ends up being a $100 difference you would be better off putting that money towards your sub or upgrading your center.
    Last edited by CALIBER; 07-30-2011 at 11:58 AM.

  12. #12
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada Eh?
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    The place that has them for that price is called Gibbys Electronic Supermarket. They always have sales on basically everything in their store.

    Also I was right about them going back on sale, the Monitor 9s and Atom Monitors are back on sale, the CC-290 isn't yet but it will be soon most likely.

  13. #13
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Nice, that is a good deal on some fantastic speakrs. FYI check out 6 ave.com they have the micro monitor's for cheap. Also have you considered the studio 20's they aren't much more than the 9's and are on a whole other level (6 ave has them as well). If you haven't given them a listen make sure you do, also look up some online reviews.

  14. #14
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada Eh?
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    I checked out the Studio 20s and they range from $1400 - $1500 at that store, so quite a bit more. Also I don't think 6ave ships to Canada.

  15. #15
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Damn, just a thought. The 9's are still really a steal of a deal even at full msrp.

  16. #16
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada Eh?
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Yea I know I looked at the price and was like, "Oh, well there goes that idea". I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer about price matching that store, hopefully they can.

  17. #17
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    I imagine you're getting those great quoted prices on the Paradigm's because you're already living in CA. No shipping/customs to worry about. For whatever it's worth, my local Paradigm dealer said they're planning on increasing prices across their entire line "in a few weeks". He wasn't saying this in an effort to convince me to buy speakers that day (I already bought from him).

    As a side note, I contacted 6ave a few weeks ago and asked about the Paradigm's. They've decided to drop the line and whatever you see in stock is all they have left.

    Good luck and tell us how it turns out!

  18. #18
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 524 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    I imagine you're getting those great quoted prices on the Paradigm's because you're already living in CA. No shipping/customs to worry about. For whatever it's worth, my local Paradigm dealer said they're planning on increasing prices across their entire line "in a few weeks". He wasn't saying this in an effort to convince me to buy speakers that day (I already bought from him).

    As a side note, I contacted 6ave a few weeks ago and asked about the Paradigm's. They've decided to drop the line and whatever you see in stock is all they have left.

    Good luck and tell us how it turns out!
    Yeah 6ave has also closed a couple of stores too, not sure what is going on with them.

  19. #19
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada Eh?
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    I imagine you're getting those great quoted prices on the Paradigm's because you're already living in CA. No shipping/customs to worry about. For whatever it's worth, my local Paradigm dealer said they're planning on increasing prices across their entire line "in a few weeks". He wasn't saying this in an effort to convince me to buy speakers that day (I already bought from him).

    As a side note, I contacted 6ave a few weeks ago and asked about the Paradigm's. They've decided to drop the line and whatever you see in stock is all they have left.

    Good luck and tell us how it turns out!
    Yea maybe it's because I live in Canada, but the place that has those prices always has everything on sale so I'm not sure.

    For those of you that were saying my subwoofer needs upgrading, well I just sold my Polk Audio RM6750 speakers along with the sub, so that means I need a new subwoofer. Should I make a thread in the Subwoofer forum or just continue to talk about it here?

  20. #20
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    29,491
    Thanks
    3,162
    Thanked 2,572 Times in 2,083 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: Thinking of upgrading my speakers


    I think since the thread is about replacing your "speakers"...your sub is just one piece of the puzzle. Carry on here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye360 View Post
    Yea maybe it's because I live in Canada, but the place that has those prices always has everything on sale so I'm not sure.

    For those of you that were saying my subwoofer needs upgrading, well I just sold my Polk Audio RM6750 speakers along with the sub, so that means I need a new subwoofer. Should I make a thread in the Subwoofer forum or just continue to talk about it here?
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •