Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Laugh if you will

  1. #1
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Laugh if you will


    I just bought these.Linky If they sound like shit, oh well they can go in the garage.
    L2W you will be missed.

  2. #2
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Hi mytime,

    Meh. They look fine to me, especially for a mere two hundred clams. I don't see anything to laugh at.

    So where are planning on putting them (assuming sound quality is good)?

    Yours,

    David

  3. #3
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    In the living room. They have to sound better than the Onkyo HTIB speakers I have now. Just a stop gap until I can replenish the AV budget.
    L2W you will be missed.

  4. #4
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    In the living room. They have to sound better than the Onkyo HTIB speakers I have now. Just a stop gap until I can replenish the AV budget.
    Hi mytime,

    Really, the Onkyos aren't working for you? They're supposed to be the best HTIBs around--that's too bad. Well, once you've saved up enough for some really honkin' speakers, Rizzo and DigitalDoctor will be founts of information. I only recently got serious about the A-side of A/V, and let me tell you, it's a doggoned jungle out there! As complicated as the video stuff is, audio can bury a man (and impoverish him!).

    Yours,

    David

  5. #5
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    Hi mytime,

    Really, the Onkyos aren't working for you? They're supposed to be the best HTIBs around--that's too bad. Well, once you've saved up enough for some really honkin' speakers, Rizzo and DigitalDoctor will be founts of information. I only recently got serious about the A-side of A/V, and let me tell you, it's a doggoned jungle out there! As complicated as the video stuff is, audio can bury a man (and impoverish him!).

    Yours,

    David
    The HTIB speakers work fine. This just may be a case of trying to catch lighting in a bottle.
    L2W you will be missed.

  6. #6
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    The HTIB speakers work fine. This just may be a case of trying to catch lighting in a bottle.
    Oh, I see...they work alright, but they aren't, let's say, working out. Yes? I certainly know that feeling.

    Yours,

    David

  7. #7
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Mytime,

    I have those speakers and while a lot of people might want to laugh because they have not heard of FLAUNCE, these are really good speakers, you will need a sub though. I went for these a couple of years ago because they were only 199.99 and I figured I had nothing to lose. To my surprise these things are NICE, they have a life time warranty on them, I don't really know a whole lot of companies that do that anymore. The sounds is crystal clear, they have nice mid bass, but for the final kick in the bass department you will need a sub. After about 10-20 break in hours these things begin to shine. You won't be sorry you got these speakers! Also, I went with AVSC Center channel as well, because although the center channel was alright, to me the center channel is one) of the most important. The center channel that comes with the avthb is usable, it just didn't seem to compete with the towers (the towers seemed to overshadow the center). The AVSC center channel definately filled the gap.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to HDJ1080P For This Useful Post:

    mytime (04-23-2010)

  9. #8
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    29,566
    Thanks
    3,176
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 2,095 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HDJ1080P View Post
    Mytime,

    I have those speakers and while a lot of people might want to laugh because they have not heard of FLAUNCE, these are really good speakers, you will need a sub though. I went for these a couple of years ago because they were only 199.99 and I figured I had nothing to lose. To my surprise these things are NICE, they have a life time warranty on them, I don't really know a whole lot of companies that do that anymore. The sounds is crystal clear, they have nice mid bass, but for the final kick in the bass department you will need a sub. After about 10-20 break in hours these things begin to shine. You won't be sorry you got these speakers! Also, I went with AVSC Center channel as well, because although the center channel was alright, to me the center channel is one) of the most important. The center channel that comes with the avthb is usable, it just didn't seem to compete with the towers (the towers seemed to overshadow the center). The AVSC center channel definately filled the gap.
    That's awesome. I'm sure mytime will appreciate hearing from someone who actually owns them.

    MYTIME - CHECK YOUR PM TONIGHT. I HAVE A COMMENT FOR YOU!
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


  10. #9
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The title is appropriate (laugh if you will) because all Fluance owners are laughing at the people who drop more money on speakers. These speakers will definitely blow away ANY HTIB, and will give most speakers in the 1000's of dollars range a run for their money. I want the SXHTB but the decor doesn't match anything in my house. When it's time for a upgrade I will be sticking with Fluance (Hopefully they will release the SXHTB in black). Like I said before you will need a sub (or four like me) to compliment this system and it would not be a bad idea to pick up the AVSC center channel they offer for 69.00.

    P.S.

    The reason the price is so low is because you deal with them directly --no middleman or woman, not because of quality.

    Mytime- let me know what you think of these once you've listened to them for about a month.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HDJ1080P For This Useful Post:

    davidjschenk (04-23-2010), mytime (04-23-2010)

  12. #10
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Wow. Sounds like maybe we've got a true diamond in the rough here, then. mytime, please do post your thoughts and reactions to the speakers after you've broken them in and had some real quality time with them; I'll be very interested to see what you say.

    Yours,

    David

  13. #11
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HDJ1080P View Post
    The title is appropriate (laugh if you will) because all Fluance owners are laughing at the people who drop more money on speakers. These speakers will definitely blow away ANY HTIB, and will give most speakers in the 1000's of dollars range a run for their money. I want the SXHTB but the decor doesn't match anything in my house. When it's time for a upgrade I will be sticking with Fluance (Hopefully they will release the SXHTB in black). Like I said before you will need a sub (or four like me) to compliment this system and it would not be a bad idea to pick up the AVSC center channel they offer for 69.00.

    P.S.

    The reason the price is so low is because you deal with them directly --no middleman or woman, not because of quality.

    Mytime- let me know what you think of these once you've listened to them for about a month.
    I most definitely will. Thanks for all your input. For now I will stick with the sub that came with the Onkyo and upgrade later. C-net gave these speakers a good review. Thanks for your input and putting some of my doubts to rest. (Didn't have many, at $199 I didn't have much to lose!)
    L2W you will be missed.

  14. #12
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    Wow. Sounds like maybe we've got a true diamond in the rough here, then. mytime, please do post your thoughts and reactions to the speakers after you've broken them in and had some real quality time with them; I'll be very interested to see what you say.

    Yours,

    David
    Will do David.
    L2W you will be missed.

  15. #13
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Gos your are the man. Thanks for the generous offer!
    L2W you will be missed.

  16. #14
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    29,566
    Thanks
    3,176
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 2,095 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Gos your are the man. Thanks for the generous offer!
    LOL - no problem. The women will show up shortly after 9PM tonight. LMAO!
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


  17. #15
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Ok got them today and hooked them up. I can't believe these only cost $200. They seem to be well made, solid with some heft. I popped the latest Rambo in the bd player and I must say I'm impressed. A little tweaking is in order after they are broken in but so far these sound great. For $200 you can't go wrong with these.
    L2W you will be missed.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to mytime For This Useful Post:

    davidjschenk (04-30-2010)

  19. #16
    HDJ Platinum Club Member sawzalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cape May N.J...Southern Tip..
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanks
    256
    Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I read about a small inexpensive tweak that will totally amaze you, if your some what handy with driver removal. These speakers will completely change their sound for the better with the installation of a peel and stick rubber product found in the roofing section of the box stores, you completely wrap the inside of the cabinet with the peel and stick, it will help with the resonating and produce a richer sound with an added bonus amount of bass. I have done the peel and stick trick on some set-ups and was very happy with the results. The worst part is working through the driver openings, but with a little patience it will be well worth it.
    HD Football Rocks

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to sawzalot For This Useful Post:

    mytime (04-28-2010)

  21. #17
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post
    I read about a small inexpensive tweak that will totally amaze you, if your some what handy with driver removal. These speakers will completely change their sound for the better with the installation of a peel and stick rubber product found in the roofing section of the box stores, you completely wrap the inside of the cabinet with the peel and stick, it will help with the resonating and produce a richer sound with an added bonus amount of bass. I have done the peel and stick trick on some set-ups and was very happy with the results. The worst part is working through the driver openings, but with a little patience it will be well worth it.
    Thanks Sawz.
    L2W you will be missed.

  22. #18
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Ok got them today and hooked them up. I can't believe these only cost $200. They seem to be well made, solid with some heft. I popped the latest Rambo in the bd player and I must say I'm impressed. A little tweaking is in order after they are broken in but so far these sound great. For $200 you can't go wrong with these.

    Good to hear mytime, with a little break in time they will only get better. If you have a 7.1 receiver I would bi -amp them, I did (I know a lot of people don't consider it bi -amping with the same receiver) but it definitely tighten the bass for me .

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to HDJ1080P For This Useful Post:

    mytime (04-30-2010)

  24. #19
    Super Moderator mytime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jackson MO
    Posts
    10,444
    Thanks
    600
    Thanked 882 Times in 724 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Ok. I put these through their paces last night . I would recommend these for anyone on a tight budget who wants to step up from HTIB speakers. I have the Onkyo set for double bass so the mains and the sub will share the load.
    L2W you will be missed.

  25. #20
    Super Moderator GOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    29,566
    Thanks
    3,176
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 2,095 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Ok. I put these through their paces last night . I would recommend these for anyone on a tight budget who wants to step up from HTIB speakers. I have the Onkyo set for double bass so the mains and the sub will share the load.
    Are you saying you "Threw the coals" to them?
    Denon AVR-988 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •